Can't boot from backup

jssphoto

Registered
I downloaded Superduper! and through it backed up my startup hard drive to an external firewire-connected hard drive, which according to Superduper! should be bootable. But I can't get the computer to start from the external hard drive. I've restarted and held down the proper keys (I forgot which ones), but then I got a screen that stayed on literally for an hour without doing anything while the beachball whirled. Is there something else I should do?
And is it save to completely erase my startup hard drive once I manage to boot from the external one?

Thanks.

'... Superduper! ... backed up my startup hard drive to an external firewire ... hard drive, which ... should be bootable. But I can't get the computer to start from the external hard drive.' - missing information: Mac model, MacOS X version number, and SuperDuper! version number.

Quickly, if the (unknown model) Mac is Intel based - was the external FireWire drive formatted as with a GUID Partition Table [see the picture beneath 'Step 4: Convert partition to GPT (GUID Partion Table)'s sub-step '3.' - showing the selected 'GUID Partition Table' radio button]?

'Is there something else I should do?' - Provide the requested information.

'And is it save to completely erase my startup hard drive once I manage to boot from the external one?' - only you can make that determination. Typically, one back ups, images, and / or clones the boot drive for the purpose of cloning back to, or restoring, the boot drive - should an anomaly occur with the boot drive. However, what one does, for whatever reason - is their decision.

Hi Barhar,

Thanks for responding—sorry about that. I'm using a 1GHz G4, hence Power PC, system 10.4.11, version 2.1.4. I partitioned the external drive, leaving 60GB of space for a 55 GB hard drive (that sells as a 60 GB.)

Joel Simpson

Also, the manufacturer of external FireWire device, its model number, and the manufacturer and model number of the actual hard disk drive, should have been provided. And one needs to know if the specific FireWire device is boot able - due to the 'chip set' incorporated.

Based on the provided information:

01. Backup the other partition(s) of data on the external FireWire drive, elsewhere (on another hdd).
02. Using 'Disk Utility' - create a single partition (on the external hard disk drive, hdd) and erase it.
03. Again, attempt to use 'SuperDuper!' to create a boot able copy of your internal hdd on the external FireWire hdd.

If I understand your last post correctly - it is your computer when booted from the internal hdd that is slow. If so, and you create a backup you should not expect faster performance.

Sluggish performance can be the result of many cache files (see the '~/Library/Caches/' folder), too many or large in size log files (see the '/Library/Logs/' and '~/Library/Logs/' folders), and several and possible large 'swapfile's (view the '/var/vm/' folder via 'Terminal' - in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder).
Naturally, other (not so obvious) circumstances may also exist.

Consider resolving the sluggish operation of your Mac - first; and then, create the boot able backup.

Thanks very much. I'm emptying the cache folder. There were over 3,000 items in it. I assume they're created automatically with use. I'll do the same with log files. I thought Onyx did this sort of thing.

Disk Warrior says my main HD is too fragmented for it to repair, that's why I'm trying to wipe it.

The external HD is an IEEE 1394.

Joel

barhar: "Also, the manufacturer of external FireWire device, its model number, and the manufacturer and model number of the actual hard disk drive, should have been provided. And one needs to know if the specific FireWire device is boot able - due to the 'chip set' incorporated."

Seriously? You want the manufacturer, model number of the FW-device and the actual harddrive? Or is it just your sadistic tendencies that tell you you must ask forum members to provide you with such info?

jssphoto: If you need to find out whether a partition on the external drive is bootable, simply try to install OS X on it.

Back